In serious cases, fleas and worms can be fatal
It’s extremely important that your pet is regularly treated for parasites such as fleas, ticks and worms. Not only can these conditions cause your furry friend pain and discomfort, in extreme cases they can also be fatal.
Fleas are the parasite your pet is most susceptible to. They live in almost any warm environment, including your pet’s fur, your clothes and living space, and even grass in the warmer months.
It is estimated that fleas have up to 50 offspring every single day, which makes them particularly difficult to get rid of once your pet has an infestation. As well as being hard to clear, fleas survive by drinking blood which causes you and your pet red, itchy bumps. They can also spread nasty diseases.
If your pet has fleas and they are grooming themselves, they are likely to swallow the parasites. Because fleas can carry worm eggs this means that your pet could then develop a worm infestation.
There are different types of worm that different animals are more likely to catch. The parasite then lives in your pet’s gut before causing them to become very unwell if they’re not treated quickly and effectively.
Indications that your pet could have fleas include:
Red/brown specks scurrying in your pets fur
Red, itchy, sore spots (these could appear on you also)
Indications that your pet could have worms include:
Sickness and diarrhoea
What looks like grains of rice in your pet’s vomit, faeces and around their bottom
The treatment that you administer your pet for a flea or worm infestation must be suitable for their species, breed and size. It is also important that you know which type of worm you are treating your pet for. If your pet has roundworm for example, repeat treatment is needed as only adult worms can be killed.
At Bay Vets our nurses have a wealth of experience working with animals that have parasitic conditions. They are also able to recommend effective treatment for your pet, and show you how to administer it.
If you think that your pet is being affected by a parasite, or to speak to someone about suitable treatment, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Parasitic infestations can be fatal so you shouldn’t delay in seeing a veterinary professional if you have concerns about your pet.