Dog owners will be well aware of the extent that their canine pals will go to for a snack. However, what a dog wants isn’t always what it needs; when our pets think with their stomachs, it can be quite dangerous. While dogs are known to be scavengers and will chow down on just about anything, there are some foods that can be harmful or even deadly for them.

Here at Bay Vets, we’re all too familiar with dogs falling ill after eating things they shouldn’t.

Read on to discover a few foods that can be particularly dangerous for pooches.


First up on our list of toxic food is chocolate. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. The amount of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate, with dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate being the most dangerous. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased thirst, and restlessness. In severe cases, it can cause muscle tremors, seizures, and even death.

Grapes and Raisins

Next up, grapes and raisins. These can cause kidney failure in dogs. It’s understood that these fruits are toxic to dogs due to the presence of a chemical known as Tartaric Acid; even small amounts can be dangerous. Symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, and lethargy.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic also contain compounds that can damage a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anaemia. Symptoms of onion or garlic poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, and breathing difficulties.


Avocado contains persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. However, the biggest concern with avocados is their stone, which can be a choking hazard or cause blockages in the digestive tract.


Even small amounts of alcohol can be dangerous for dogs. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing, and loss of coordination. In severe cases, it can lead to coma and death.


This artificial sweetener is often found in sugar-free gum and candy, as well as some peanut kinds of butter. It can cause a rapid insulin release in dogs, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, loss of coordination, and seizures.

Bay Vets: Small Animal Practice

If you suspect your dog has eaten something potentially toxic, it is crucial to seek professional help as soon as possible. From puppy checkups to emergency appointments, here at Bay Vets, we’re here to help.

Get in touch with us today to enquire as to our registration availability.